Exchange to Russia

What is your opinion if you heard about Russia ?? Well, many people think that Russia is very big country, the weather is very cold and it makes the Russian people cold too with foreigners, racism, communist, many skin-head, have a nuclear, participate in World War II ?? Is it true ?

Wew , Let me prove that it is truly happened or not with going there. . because we cannot be a wiseacre, right ?? Actually I decided to go to Russia because I want going somewhere place that very far away from my home, not many building, and have a different culture with my country.

I’ve matched with LC Saratov-Russia since 29th March 2011, My project is Sunshine-Culture Education, and I’ve just get my Invitation letter 17th July, it means that I must wait for 4months to get my Invitation Letter. Then I apply my visa at Russian Embassy at Jakarta by myself, bought a ticket flight, and packing for only 1 week . Very hard and crazy week for me at that time. Because I must prepare everything and I must search my representative to do my job as Financing Manager at AIESEC LC Bandung while I’m Exchange. Because I just had a little time for prepare, so I’m going to money changer 6 hours before my flight at Jakarta. Hahahaha . .



Welcome to Russia !!!

I've arrived at Domodedevo airport-Moscow on 29th July. 16 hours from Indonesia to Moscow. In this airport no one can speak english. Very strange, because this is International airport!! All words in Cyrillic. I try to understand and read the words, I try to find a flight to Saratov from Moscow, I ask to every people at there, but no one can speak English. I just back and forth again and again about 3hours, makes me so tired and hungry after 2days didn’t take a bath. So I decided to take a train to get Paveletsky station at Moscow, because I think I can get any help from PERMIRA at Moscow.

After I've arrived at Paveletsky station at Moscow, I met with Permira (Indonesian Student Organization) at Indonesian Embassy. They are very welcoming and they are really nice to me. They teach me how to walk at escalator, how to use bus, tram, or use metro. Before I go to Saratov, they took me to go around Moscow and help me to buy a ticket train to Saratov. Because at the train station no one can speak English. =___=

On 31st August I've arrived at Saratov Train Station. There are many AIESECer and EPs took me up at the station, very warmth . .
From Moscow to Saratov takes 16hours by train and the price is 2600rubel if you take 2nd class, but if you take economic class you can get very cheap price, only 600rubel (180.000idr), and if you want feel Harry Potter’s train you can buy Kupe class, 4000rubel, it’s very expensive. I think it’s better if you take a plane rather than buy Kupe class. :D

Before I'm going to the camp, I live at my host family for 2days and then I went to the camp at the 3rd day I'm in Saratov after I've got my medical check-up and registration my visa at Saratov post office.
And then I go to the camp . Yeeaayyy!!

I live at Samgrad Camp – Atkarsk for a month. Atkarsk is a village, 2 hours from Saratov. Because of that, I didn't have a signal phone, no internet, and my laptop damaged. This camp is art and sport camp. And I came to this camp when the end of third session. I’m alone in here, no one EPs in here except me. But, I think it’s great because I can get more challenge because of this!!


The kids and Teachers

So my work will begin on 11th August at Fourth session. So, until my work begin I just go around in the camp, make ceramics, batik, and origami with other kids. They are very nice, and I have so many gifts from them. I'd rather to stay at camp than come back to my host family.

I started to work at 13th August. I'm teaching Balinese dance and Angklung everyday for big event at this camp, called with Parent's day on 21st August. So I have only 10days for prepared everything. And I started to make a costume for dance and I have a classroom for my practice with the kids.

Playing RamaShinta

Making Batik

My director camp very nice to me, he repaired my laptop and buy a raw material for make the costume. Then I saw this costume. And other teachers in this camp help me to finish my costume. I like this camp so much. And they are very Interested with me, because I can dance, play a music, can play a basketball, can make a ceramics, drawing and painting. They told me that I'm very multi-talented girl. Hahaha . So, they hope I can go back again to Russia next year.

Before all teachers sleep, usually we have a cay party (tea). we drink tea, eat salad, sandwich, and cookies, and also we have a chit chat between all the teachers in my group. Very warmth and I like this moment very much. If the temperature’s very high, we are going to river near the camp, and swim together. We jump off to the river from the bridge, and it's really cool!!
I'll miss this river so much!

In this camp, the children cannot speak English, but they’re very curious with my coming in here. They’re talk to me in Russian Language, but I try to understand them with bring my dictionary. They wanted me to teach them English. They try to speak with me a lot, but they didn’t know how to speak in English very well.
When I went to sleep, they kisses, hugs me and said to me “Spakoino noci, yolla. . (Have a nice sleep)”, and when I ate they said to me “Priyatnogo Apetita, Bon Apetit yolla!! (Have a good eat!!), and if we met each other they asked to me, “Hello yolla !! kak dela?? (How are you?)”, and I said, “Atlicna !! (Excellent!)”.
I miss them so much !!! On 21st August, I've finished my work because today is Parent's day. And I've done it with successfully. I show to them Balinese dance and playing Angklung with guitar and flute with the kids in front of many parents. Horeeey !!

Dancing together

And today, there is many EPs come to my camp, they are from USA, Iran, India, Columbia, Turkey, and Brazil. They are very nice, and finally I can speak with English Language after 1 month!! They live at my camp only for 1 week, because before they are coming to my camp, they live at another camp.
And they had nothing to do in this camp, because this is the end of summer camp. But I help them to search any job here. I asked all EPs, what can they do and what is their skills?
For example:
EP from Colombia can salsa dance, so I told the kids who wants to learn salsa to this EP . And I search a room for her to teach salsa to her student.
And I help other EPs to search their new host family, because they are not satisfied with the host family, and I help them to get a new one and introduce them about this camp.
While I had my exchange, I’m doing my job as Exchange Country Coordinator for Russia, if there is any problem that EPs from Bandung have got while in Moscow, I’ll try to solve it. So, there is 2 EPs from LC Bandung that had a problem while they are exchange in here. But, Other EPs including me have had very great experience in Russia.

With Directur camps, Teachers, and EPs

I must stay at Samgrad camp until 26th August. And today I take a little vacation to lake near the camp with my closest friend at this camp, and also with her husband and her kids,
her kid’s age is 9 years old. So, we build a tent near the lake, make a fire, barbeque, fishing, and playing a guitar. And tomorrow go to Saratov because I need to buy ticket train to Moscow. While in Saratov, I live at her house. Her family very nice to me. Thank you so much my friend, Julia Kireeva!!

So, at 23August, I go back to camp. And now I want to enjoy my last week at the camp with kids, make batik and ceramics with other kids, teaching dance of Dangdut to kids, and go to Disco Time at hall with the kids every two weeks at the camp. But at Disco, alcohol, smoking, and drugs is forbidden.

On 26th August I’m going back again to Saratov because AIESEC Saratov has an event, called with International speaking club. Which is all EPs must presenting their countries in front of AIESECer and all interns. In here is very cold, because now is autumn, 5-10degrees everyday. And of course I never swim again at the river. .

International Speaking Club

I came back to Moscow on 28th August to celebrate Eid Mubarak at Indonesian Embassy. and I live at Moscow for 2weeks. Because my flight back is 12th September. When I’m in Moscow, there is very big event at Kremlin, Den Goroda event (Moscow Birthday), every people celebrate this day. Many posters of this day and fireworks. So beautiful. .

Pak kedubes ngasih khotbah

Eid Mubarak

In embassy, I meet with Military Atachee, Ambassador, PERMIRA, other EPs from Malang, UI, and Bandung. . And in this 2weeks I've just spent my time with go around Moscow with EPs from Brazil and Colombia, EPs from Bandung, and PERMIRA. I went to Arbatskya, Leninsky prospyekt, GUM, Kremlin, Kitay-gorod, Saritsyino palace, Tochka-g museii, St. Basil, white church, Gagarinsky, etc. Sometime I go around Moscow alone until late night, but everything is alright and there is no skinhead. . Although I’m a little bit scary when I across metro at late night because so many people drunk, but I think its ok . I ‘m safe until now.
After I live at Russia for 1,5month, I can read a Cyrillic very well and I know the basic conversation, it helps me when I’m at the airport to go back to Indonesia.



I don't want to leave Russia , really . I love this country, I love my interns here, I love my camp, if I could I want to stay at here. But what can I do? I must go back to Indonesia. 
From this exchange, I can meet with many people from many countries with different background, and work together in this project. And I learn how to be a strong woman with keep my ideology, my religion values, and my culture.
I realize one thing, I cannot stop to run after this exchange, everyday I must move to be a better person. Because there are clouds above clouds, there are so many people in this world, and you must know what do you wanted to be and what's your goals in your life. 
If you want to grab your future, then try to make it happened from now!
If we are not start now, then when are we gonna get what we want?
Other peoples are run everyday and we are just stay in the same place and didn’t move on?? No, don’t do that!! We must move, because we have only a little time to live in this world. We don’t know what will happen to us in the future, just try to realized our dreams with hope, effort, and pray a lot.
I really enjoy my time in Russia, minutes by minutes, hours by hours, I would never forget all the time that I've got in there. I hope someday I'll go back again to Russia, and can feel the heat of Sunshine in summer camp.
Ya budyu skucat po Russii!!


Comments